Israel and Palestinian factions are observing a 72-hours ceasefire since Tuesday, brokered by Cairo "Palestinian medical crews are still working on extracting bodies from districts in the eastern outskirts of the Gaza Strip along the border [with Israel] which have been intensely shelled by Israel," Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qodra told Anadolu Agency. He said that 9806 Palestinians have also been injured since the launch of Israel's "Operation Protective Edge" on the late night of July 7. He went on to say that 432 children, 243 women and 85 elderly Palestinians are among the fatalities and that 2979 children, 1903 women and 374 elderly Palestinians are among the injured. Israel and Palestinian factions are observing an Egyptian-brokered three-day ceasefire in the embattled Gaza Strip since Tuesday, following nearly a month of carnage as Israel relentlessly pounded the coastal enclave – home to some 1.8 million Palestinians – with aerial, naval and ground strikes. Palestinian factions, for their part, have fired rockets at Israel during the offensive in retaliation.
Many rockets, however, have been intercepted by Israel's 'Iron Dome' anti-missile defense system. Israel has thus far confirmed that three of its citizens were killed by rocket fire. Israel has also confirmed that 64 soldiers had been killed in battles with Palestinian fighters in the Gaza Strip. Israel has since completely withdrawn its forces from the besieged Palestinian enclave prior to the ceasefire. The two sides are currently in Cairo for indirect talks aimed at reaching a long-term ceasefire agreement.