A three-day humanitarian truth has started coming into effect in the Gaza Strip at 8:00am (0500 GMT) upon a request from the United Nations to open the door for the entry into Gaza of humanitarian aid. Both the Israeli government and Gaza-based Palestinian resistance movements announced their approval of the ceasefire earlier. United States Secretary of State John Kerry said earlier that the United Nations had already received assurances from both the Palestinians and the Israelis that they were ready to comply with the ceasefire. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said Gaza-based resistance factions had agreed to the truce. "We will be committed to the truce so long as Israel demonstrates equal commitment," Abu Zuhri said. An Israeli minister, meanwhile, said his country's security cabinet had also approved the ceasefire, which was requested by the United Nations. The Israeli minister, however, said the Israeli army would continue to demolish Gaza's tunnels. A short time before the ceasefire came into effect on Friday, Israel stepped up its attacks on the Gaza Strip. A total of 1458 Gazans were killed and 8375 others injured by Israel's attacks since the war on Gaza started on July 7. Israel and the Palestinians will send negotiators to Cairo, Egypt, to discuss a long-term calm.
Gaza ceasefire started
01 Ağustos 2014 Cuma 01:54