Xinhua reported that at least 381 people had been killed as of Monday morning after the tremor rattled the province Sunday afternoon. Officials have said more than 12,000 homes were destroyed in the disaster and 30,000 others damaged. China's Premier Li Keqiang is reported to be en route to the region to supervise relief work. The strong quake struck at 4:30 p.m. Sunday (Beijing Time) with a depth of 12 km. The epicenter is in Longtoushan Township, 23 km southwest of the county seat of Ludian County in Zhaotong City. Ludian has a population of around 265,900. Hundreds of search and rescue teams are working in the area, and the Chinese government has sent 2,000 tents, 2,000 coats and 3,000 folding beds. President Xi Jinping has called for authorities to give top priority to saving people's lives and guaranteeing a proper settlement for quake victims. Xinhua reported that the tremor occurred at a depth of 12 kilometers on Sunday afternoon in the Long Toushan township in Yunnan. China Earthquake Administration said that since the tremor, 411 aftershocks have been recorded in the region, with four between 4.0 to 4.9 magnitude and five between 3.0 to 3.9 magnitude. The death toll is almost five times that of a 5.7 magnitude earthquake that occurred in Zhaotong in 2012, killing 80 people and injuring more than 800.
Death toll reaches 381 in China earthquake
04 Ağustos 2014 Pazartesi 02:14