Research carried out by the Directorate General of Press and Information of Turkey has revealed the lies and contradictory statements of Fethullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) Ringleader Gülen in interviews to foreign media in the immediate aftermath of July 15. It has been understood once again that FETO, which claimed the lives of hundreds while injuring thousands of others, is built on lies told by its ringleader Gülen for years.
FETO Ringleader Gülen’s Never-Ending Lies
• FETO ringleader Gülen claimed that he suffered from coups in the past in interviews to leading media institutions like the Guardian, Wall Street Journal and The New York Times on July 16-17, 2016 in an effort to cover up the fact that he perpetrated the coup attempt. However, Gülen previously wrote in his article titled “The Last Outpost” published in the organization’s magazine “Sızıntı (The Leakage)” that the military “came as a godsend” by referring to the coup of September 12.
• In an interview to Milliyet daily on January 31, 2005, ringleader Gülen said that coup leader Kenan Evren could go to heaven. During the postmodern coup process of February 28, Gülen attended a programme on Kanal D private TV channel on April 16, 1997 where he claimed that the coup plotters were more democrat than the Refah-Yol government (government of the Welfare Party (RP) and the Right Path Party (DYP)), thus revealing his appreciation of coups. While his remarks “You have failed, now quit” targeting the elected government still linger in minds, FETO ringleader spared no effort to create an innocent image of himself in international media.
• FETO ringleader claimed in interviews to The Guardian, Financial Times and The New York Times on July 16, 2016 that he had nothing to do with the coup attempt while he suggested in interviews to Wall Street Journal and Vesti TV on July 17, 2016 that the government could have staged the coup attempt. Appearing in international media organs for three days in a row, Gülen told BBC on July 18, 2016 that commissioned officers close to the opposition parties could have perpetrated the coup attempt as if he was not the one who described the attempt as a scenario the day before.
• Recent interviews of FETO ringleader Gülen clearly demonstrate that he resorted to similar lies about the December 17-25 and Kurdish Resolution Process as well. While Gülen previously denied charges of illegal wiretapping during December 17-25 process, he confessed to receiving information from Erdoğan’s inner circle and exposed his lie when he said “according to information provided by people close to the President” in an interview to Wall Street Journal on July 17, 2016. In the same interview, FETO ringleader Gülen suggested, in an effort to justify himself, that the American and German secret service may be responsible for the December 17-25 process.
• Opening the doors of his mansion in Pennsylvania to international press at every opportunity since the coup attempt of July 15, FETO ringleader described the Kurdish Resolution Process as the “betrayal process” in interviews to CNN and Wall Street Journal on July 17-18, 2016 despite previously telling BBC on January 27, 2014 that he was not against the Kurdish resolution process and supported the talks. Similarly in his interview on August 4, 2016 to the NRT television channel broadcasting in Iraq, FETO ringleader did not hold back from his provocations towards the Kurds that make up the larger quantity of the viewers of the channel and claimed that previously he had sent a ten points proposition similar to that of the Kurdish resolution process but the government had rejected it.
• FETO ringleader Gülen looked remarkably stripped off from the image of the cleric of his previous sermons. Gülen, who wears a frock and cap nearly in all of his sermons, has chosen to wear a jacket instead during his interviews to the international broadcasting corporations. He is also interviewed in the more modest (!) rooms of the mansion that he lives in, giving the image that he lives a simple and humble life which would have nothing whatsoever to do with the coup attempt of FETO.
A Life Built On Lies
Although FETO ringleader Gülen has tried to build his image as a victim of the coup and himself as a peaceful, pro-dialogue, humble cleric, he has not been able to hide all the lies he has told.
FETO has not refrained from involving in the critical periods Turkey has experienced in recent years and has caused thousands of people to be sentenced to prison by the hands of those who infiltrated the state institutions so far in the political and judicial processes such as February 28 postmodern coup, Ergenekon, Sledgehammer and the Tahşiye case. Coup Attempt of July 15 is the most significant process that has shown to the whole world the dirty and bloody face of the organization.
Gülen’s Inconsistent Statements
1- July 16, 2016 “Coup attempt has nothing to do with me, I am against coups.” Guardian, Financial Times, New York Times
July 17, 2016 “Coup allegation is a scenario. They may have acted themselves to discharge the military.” Wall Street Journal, Vesti TV
July 18, 2016 “They may be the sympathizers of the opposition party. It may be the Nationalists and the Chauvinists” BBC World, Spiegel Online
July 18, 2016 “Those who are close to us with nationalist feelings but naive people may have been tricked by this attempt.” BBC World, Spiegel Online
2- July 16, 2016 “I am against coups. I believe in democracy and elections.” Guardian, Financial Times, New York Times
September 30, 1980 “We salute the Mehmetçik [a nickname given to Turkish soldiers] who have come as a godsend to our rescue when our hopes were exhausted.” Sızıntı Magazine
January 31, 2005 “September 12 Coup leader Kenan Evren can go to heaven.” Milliyet
April 16, 1997 “The Military that carried out the February 28 coup is more democratic... Refah- Yol government you have failed now quit.” Kanal D
3- July 16, 2016 “USA will not be deceived; they will meet the requirements of modern law.”
July 18, 2016 “I am not afraid to be deported, if the USA decides to do so it will be done. An international commission should be set up to investigate.” Spiegel Online
4- January 27, 2014 “I am not against the talks on the Kurdish resolution process.” BBC
July 17-18, 2016 “The Kurdish resolution process is treason, the PKK has been piling up guns to cities for 2-3 years. They let them. Now they turned the East into ruins... They planned to divide the country.” The Wall Street Journal, CNN
August 4, 2016 “We presented a written ten-point proposition on the Kurdish issue that was still in our hands to the president but it was denied. The East has been turned into a bloodbath.” NRT
5- December 17-25, 2013 “We have nothing to do with the illegal wire-tapping.”
July 17, 2016 “According to those close to him he often has hysteria attacks.” (It is seen that he can get hold of information from those who are close to the president.) Wall Street Journal
July 17, 2016 “American and German Secret Service may be responsible for the 17-25 December process.” Wall Street Journal