Home | NATION | Second Ankara suicide bomber identified

Second Ankara suicide bomber identified

Second attacker in Oct. 10 bombings is a Syrian national, Ankara prosecutor says, after identification of first bomber as Daesh-linked Turkish citizen

ANKARA (AVRUPA TIMES) The second suicide bomber responsible for the Ankara attack in October that killed 102 people has been identified.

 

Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s office said Sunday that the second perpetrator was a Syrian national, identified with his initials as E.U.

 

The first attacker was identified as Daesh-linked Yunus Emre Alagoz on Oct. 19, 2015.

 

In a statement, the prosecutor’s office said Alagoz had come to Turkey from Syria but gave no time frame for his return.

 

The 10.05 a.m. blasts outside Ankara’s main train station, which claimed 102 lives and injured hundreds on Oct. 14 of last year targeted a group of peace activists and trades unionists assembling for a rally.

 

On Oct. 20, police shared an image taken by a security camera that shows two figures walking along a sunlit pavement flanked on one side by heavy traffic on the morning of the bombing.

 

The pair appear to be wearing dark clothing and seem to have just walked from under a traffic overpass. Three vehicles can be seen on their left, including a distinctive yellow taxi, and on their right is a grass verge.

 

The grainy image was taken just after the suspects had got out of a taxi, the police source said. The source did not indicate where the image came from, the exact time of day it was taken or the location.

 

The twin blasts shook Turkey as the country faced a general election re-run on Nov. 1, amid ongoing counter-terrorism operations in the southeast and a raging civil war along its southern border in Syria.

 

Dozens of suspected Daesh supporters were rounded up in the days following the bombing.

comments powered by Disqus